- Seals, bears, and ice. A NFR project on the implications of climate changes.
- Barents sea polar bear survey: a project to estimate the Barents Sea polar bear population size by means of line transects. Founding granted by the Norwegian ministry of Environment.
- Long term monitoring of the polar bears in and around Svalbard, using capture-recapture.
- Since 2003: Research scientist on polar bears at the Norwegian Polar Institute, Tromsø. Division for Ecology.
- 2000-2002: NERC research fellow at Aberdeen university. Population genetics and demography of water voles.
- 1998-2000: Marie Curie EU research fellow at Aberdeen university. Population genetics and demography of water voles.
- June 1998: PhD in Ecology at University of Oslo, Norway: “Demography and genetics in spatially structured vole populations”.
- 1993-1994: Teacher in natural science at Fagerborg high school, Oslo, Norway.
- June 1993: Master in ecology, on the subject of sex ratio allocation in root vole females.
Interesser og spesialfelt
Population demography and population genetics of animal populations. Ecological processes and evolution.
Lambin X., Aars, J., Piertney, S., and Telfer S. 2004. Inferring pattern and process in small mammal metapopulations: insight from ecological and genetic data. In: Eds. Hanski, I. and O. Gaggiotti. Ecology, Genetics and Evolution of Metapopulations.
Telfer S, Dallas JF., Aars J, Piertney, SB., Stewart, W., and Lambin, X. 2003. Demographic and genetic structure of fossorial water voles Arvicola terrestris on Scottish islands. Journal of Zoology 259: 23-29.
Johannesen E., Aars J., Andreassen HP. and Ims RA. 2003. A demographis analysis of vole population responses to fragmentation and destruction of habitat. Population Ecology 45: 47-58.
Aars J. and Ims, RA. 2002. Intrinsic and climatic determinants of population demography: The winter dynamics of tundra voles. Ecology 83:3449-3456.
Aars J, Lambin X, Denny R, Griffin A. 2001 Water vole in the Scottish uplands: distribution patterns of disturbed and pristine populations ahead and behind the American mink invasion front. Animal Conservation 4: 187-194.
Lambin X, Aars J., and Piertney, SB. 2001. Intraspecific competition, kin competition and kin facilitation: A review of the empirical evidence. Pages 110-122 in " dispersal " edited by Clobert, J., Danchin, E, Dhondt, AA. and Nichols, JD. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
Gundersen G., Aars, J., Andreassen, HP., and Ims, RA. 2001. Inbreeding in the field: An experiment on root vole populations. Canadian Journal of Zoology 79: 1901-1905.
Aars J. and Ims R.A. 2000. Population dynamic and genetic consequences of spatial density-dependent dispersal in patchy populations. American Naturalist 155: 252-265.
Aars J., Johannessen, E., and Ims, RA. 1999. Demographic consequences of movements in subdivided root vole populations. Oikos 85: 204-216.
Aars J., and Ims RA. 1999. The effect of Habitat Corridors on Rates of Transfer and Interbreeding between Vole Demes. Ecology 80: 1648-1655.
Aars J., Ims RA., Liu, HP. Mulvey M. and Smith, M. 1998. Bank voles in linear habitats show restricted gene flow as revealed by mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA). Molecular Ecology 7: 1383-1389.
Aars J., Andreassen, HP. and Ims, RA. 1995. Root voles: litter sex ratio variation in fragmented habitat. Journal of Animal Ecology 64: 459-472.
Aars J., Andreassen, HP. and Ims, RA. 1994. Use of fluorescent pigment for establishing matrilineal relations in the root vole, Microtus eoconomus. Mammalia 58: 649-655.