Climatic variations and the dynamics of vegetation-reindeer interactions
The aim is to evaluate
· the mechanistic interaction between a reindeer population and vegetation communities and
· the potential impacts of climate change, including stochastic variability, on the interaction between reindeer and vegetation
This will be achieved through studies of:
· the effects of reindeer grazing on a primary food source (lichens) and the species composition of the lichen community,
· by retrospective analysis, how changes in reindeer population size and climatic variation has affected the population dynamics of a vascular food plant species,
· how variation in climate and food availability affect the variation in recruitment success of reindeer.