The Norwegian authorities have an objective for Svalbard to be one of the world’s best managed wilderness areas. The Norwegian Polar Institute contributes to the achievement of this objective by mean of specialist reports, advice and consultation statements. The institute also participates in various processes that underpin the management of the High North and Antarctica.
The Norwegian Polar Institute is working with
- scientific and technical foundation of the management plans for the Norwegian sea areas
- MOSJ (Environmental Monitoring of Svalbard and Jan Mayen)
- Norwegian Environment Agency’s Environmental status website, for both the Arctic and Antarctica
- projects in the fields of marine management and biodiversity under the Joint Norwegian-Russian Commission on Environmental Protection (read more about Norwegian-Russian cooperation on the marine environment)
- activities under the auspices of the Arctic Council (contributes with advisors and scientists)
- international forums in support of the Antarctic Treaty (advises and participates)